Jul 24th, 2012 by Lisa
Afghan Chai Recipe
This recipe for spicy Afghan Chai is adapted from Bohdi Leaves blog. I multiplied the recipe to make enough for a crowd, although you might want to drink all 8 cups yourself. In Afghanistan, tea is often served in small glasses on a silver tray. I could not find Peshawari style green tea so I used regular green tea.
Inspired by A Thousand Splendid Suns
Prep: 5 minutes Cook Time: 5-10 minutes Serves: 8
- 12 cups of water
- 8 sticks of cinnamon (3-4 inches long), broken into pieces
- 48 green cardamom seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 12 teaspoons of green tea (Peshawari style)
- Bring 12 cups of water to a very light boil.
- Add the pieces of cinnamon, cardamom seeds and ginger.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the water is fragrant and turns slightly brownish yellow. Turn the heat off, add the tea leaves, and stir. Let steep for 1-3 minutes or to taste. Strain and serve.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.