Sep 6th, 2012 by Annie
Spinach and Cheese Boreg Triangles Recipe
Boregs are traditional Middle Eastern filled pastries. The dough is paper-thin phyllo and the stuffing, though usually cheese, can be just about anything. This recipe is made with crumbled feta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and chopped baby spinach.
Recipe adapted from The Cuisine of Armenia by Sonia Uvezian.
Inspired by The Sandcastle Girls
Prep Time: 40 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Yield: 3 dozen
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 pound baby spinach, washed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 8-ounce container of crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon of Aleppo Chili Pepper (or substitute 1 teaspoon paprika and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 package of frozen phyllo sheets, thawed in refrigerator
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place olive oil and chopped green onions in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion until softened, but not browned. Stir in chopped spinach and cook until spinach is wilted. Stir in milk. Remove from heat and allow the filling to cool for 10 minutes.
- Once the filling has cooled, stir in cheeses, lightly beaten egg, Aleppo chili pepper, and salt. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Remove the package of phyllo sheets from the refrigerator. Unwrap and cut the stack of phyllo sheets into four equal sections lengthwise. Stack the strips of phyllo and cover the stack with a damp, clean cloth. (NOTE: It is important to keep phyllo covered with a damp cloth. The paper-thin phyllo can dry out quickly and become brittle.)
- Take one phyllo strip and brush a light coat of melted butter over the top of it. Take another strip and place it over the buttered strip. Brush the top of that strip with a light coat of melted butter. Place about a tablespoon of filling on a bottom corner of the buttered strips and fold over to form a triangle. Continue folding in triangles the length of the strip (like folding a flag). Secure seam by brushing with butter. Place seam side down on parchment covered baking sheet. Cover the baking sheet with another clean, damp cloth while preparing the remaining boregs.
- Brush the tops of the assembled boregs with the remaining butter. Bake until golden brown, about 15 – 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.