Red Pepper Spread (Muhamara) Recipe
This spicy appetizer made from red peppers and pomegranate molasses is from Aleppo, Syria. A tiny bottle of pomegranate molasses was $12 (eek) at our store so instead I used pomegranate juice and added a little sugar. It was still tasty, but I think the flavor and consistency would have come out so much better if I had used the molasses.
This recipe was adapted from Secrets of Healthy Middle Eastern Cuisine by Sanaa Abourezk.
Inspired by Zeitoun
Prep: 5 minutes Serves: 8
- 3 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 red chile pepper
- pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Put all the ingredients, including the bread, in a food processor and blend until you get a smooth paste. Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.