Monte Cristo Appetizers Recipe
This appetizer recipe is derived from the basic Monte Cristo, a sandwich made with white bread, thin sliced ham, turkey, and Swiss cheese, which is dipped in beaten egg, fried, then dusted with powdered sugar. It is served with a side of jelly and spicy mustard.
Prep: 10 minutes | Chill: 30 minutes | Fry: 1-1/2 minutes per batch | Yield: 2 dozen
- 6 slices of white bread
- 3 tablespoons of coarse grain spicy mustard, plus more for dipping
- 6 thin deli-style slices of ham
- 6 thin deli-style slices of turkey
- 6 thin deli-style slices of Swiss cheese
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup Bisquick
- pinch of cinnamon
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, for dusting cooked Monte Cristos
- Red raspberry jam, for dipping cooked Monte Cristos
- Remove the crusts from the bread and discard. Using a rolling pin, roll over each bread slice until thin and flat, trying to maintain a rectangular shape. Spread 1/2 tablespoon of spicy mustard over each bread slice. Lay a slice each of ham, turkey and cheese over each slice. Roll the bread up tightly, then wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1-1/2 inches of oil in deep skillet or deep fryer to 375°F. While oil is heating, whisk together eggs and milk. Whisk in Bisquick, cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Remove Monte Cristo rolls from refrigerator and slice each roll into 4 equal pieces and secure with toothpicks. Place 2 paper towels on a large plate and set aside. Place 1/2 cup of powdered sugar in a sifter or fine mesh colander for dusting fried Monte Cristos and set aside.
- Working with 6-8 pieces at a time, dip in batter and soak for 15 seconds. Then fry in hot oil for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes until golden brown. Remove from skillet and place on paper towel covered plate to drain. Sprinkle with salt, then dust with powdered sugar. Repeat in batches until all Monte Cristos are fried.
- Heat red raspberry jam in microwave in 30 second intervals until hot. Serve warm Monte Cristo appetizers with red raspberry jam and spicy mustard.
Copyright © 2017 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.