Little Pretzel Dogs Recipe
Pretzel Dogs are great for a movie-themed party by combining the salty tasty pretzel with a good ol’ hot dog.
Prep: 30 minutes | Rise: 1 hour | Bake 18 minutes | Yield: 3 dozen
(Pretzel dough can be made one day in advance, covered and refrigerated. Allow chilled dough to come to room temperature for 1 hour before assembling pretzel dogs)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 10 cups water
- 1 14 oz packages cocktail sausages, drained and patted dry
- 1 whole egg
- pretzel salt
- coarse ground brown mustard
- In large bowl of mixer, fitted with dough hook, combine water, sugar and salt. Sprinkle yeast on top. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes until the mixture begins to foam. Add 1 1/2 cups flour and oil. Beat for about 3 minutes. Batter should be smooth. Gradually stir in remaining flour until soft dough forms (it’s okay if you don’t use all of the remaining flour.) Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead about 5 minutes until dough is smooth and satiny. Place dough in a greased bowl. Roll dough around to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp dish towel and let rise for about an hour in a warm, draft-free place until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside. Add baking soda to 10 cups of water in an 8-quart pot. Bring to full boil.
- While water is coming to boil and punch down dough, turn out onto a floured surface, and divide into 8 equal pieces. Shape each into a smooth ball by gently kneading. Dust palms with flour, then, using palms, roll each ball out into a smooth rope just about ½ inch in diameter. Take a cocktail sausage and begin to roll the dough around it, using a knife, cut the dough right where the dough meets, tightly pinch the dough at the seam to secure.
- Boil the bites in the water solution in batches, about 10 15 at a time. Boil for about 30 seconds. (If some of the seams pop a little, just pinch them back together.) Remove with a large slotted spoon. Place pretzel bites, seam side down, on a prepared baking sheet. Make sure they are not touching.
- Prepare egg wash by beating egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush the bites with the egg wash and season liberally with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown, turn pan ½ way for even browning.
- Remove to a baking rack and rest 5 minutes before serving with a course ground or spicy mustard.
Copyright © 2017 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.