Fresh Spring Rolls Recipe
These Fresh Spring Rolls, a popular dim sum dish, are filled with crisp vegetables. The sauces for these spring rolls complement their garden fresh flavor.
Inspired by Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Prep Time: 30 minutes Saute Time: 5 minutes Servings: 6-8
- 12 inch round sheets of rice paper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 cups cabbage, finely chopped (can be bagged)
- 3 cups broccoli slaw mix (bagged)
- 1 cup carrots, cut into matchsticks ( can be bagged)
- 1 cup bean sprouts, washed and dried
- 8 green lettuce leaves, washed and dried
*Make sure you have a clean surface to roll the spring rolls on.
- Heat sesame oil in saute pan. Add soy sauce and lime juice. Add cabbage, broccoli and carrots and saute for 5 minutes. You want to slightly soften these vegetables but have them remain crisp.
- Trim white crisp ends off of washed green lettuce leaves. Tear each leaf into approximately 3 x 3 inch pieces. Set aside.
- Mix sauteed vegetables and bean sprouts .
- Add hot water to a large shallow dish at least 9 inches square or round. Place one rice paper sheet in dish and let sit for 15 to 20 seconds to soften the sheet. Gently remove rice paper sheet and place onto a flat surface. You do not need to dry the rice paper sheet.
- Place two pieces of torn lettuce onto the center of the the sheet. Add 1/3 cup of vegetable mix onto leaves. First fold end of rice paper over mixture, then fold sides of rice paper sheet onto vegetable mixture and then roll up jelly roll style (see photos below). Press seam to seal. Place on plate and cover so rice paper does not dry out.
- Repeat steps #4 and #5 until mixture is used.
- When done, cover with a damp dish towel and then plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon chili garlic sauce, optional
- 1 green onion for garnish, chopped
Whisk together the hoisin sauce, smooth peanut butter and water. Garnish with chopped green onions. You can divide this sauce into 2 separate serving bowls and make one spicy by adding chili garlic sauce.
Hot and Spicy Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/2 cup sweet and sour sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 green onion, chopped
Whisk sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce and chili garlic sauce together. Garnish with chopped green onions.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.