Charleston Shrimp and Grits Cakes Recipe
Shrimp and Grits Cakes is a traditional and popular southern Low Country dish. This delicious shrimp and grits cakes is great as a party appetizer or finger food.
Prep: 30 minutes | Chill Grits: 4 hours or day before | Yield: 8 servings
Charleston Shrimp and Grits Cakes adapted from Epicurious Shrimp and Grits Cakes
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cups quick grits
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Shrimp and Sauce
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4-5 shakes of Tabasco
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper then spray parchment paper with cooking spray.
- Bring 4 cups of chicken stock to boil in saucepan. Stir in quick grits and salt. Return to boil, reduce heat and cook 5-7 minutes to a thick consistency. Stir in butter and grated Parmesan cheese. Pour grits into prepared baking sheet. Smooth top to spread evenly. Cool grits, then cover and chill 4 hours or overnight until grits are very firm.
- About 45 minutes before serving, remove pan of grits from refrigerator and with a 2-inch biscuit or round cookie cutter cut out 16 grits cakes; cover cakes and return to refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 300°. In a bowl, toss shrimp with lemon juice and a few shakes of Tabasco sauce. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and sauté green onion 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add flour and stir frequently with a wooden spoon, until light brown about 2 minutes. Stir in chick stock and white wine. Continue stirring, until sauce thickens. Season with salt, pepper and more Tabasco sauce, if desired.
- Add shrimp to sauce and cook 2 to 5 minutes, until shrimp just turns pink. Do not overcook shrimp. While shrimp is cooking remove baking sheet of grits from refrigerator and place in oven. Bake for 6 minutes. To serve, spoon a couple tablespoons of sauce and 1 shrimp over each grits cake. Garnish with parsley.
Copyright © 2017 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.